As the biting winter months continue into the year, here are five wellness treatments through which you can ease the gloom and ache which are characteristic of this season
By: Dr. Manoj Kutteri, Wellness Director, Atmantan Wellness Resort
Posted on: February 19, 2019
Winter is not a very pleasant time for most. You are mostly cooped up inside, with the winter months tending to creep in into your skin and bones, making them dry, creaky and not so happy. Add to that the binge, comfort eating that accompanies the season (which though most of us do look forward to), and you are left with a slightly bulging body form in the end.
There are better ways to get through the winter, which are not only pleasant and relaxing, but will also satisfy your soul and mind. The season won’t mean so dreary anymore. Here are five wellness treatments which may not only lift your spirits but also guide them towards more nourishing regions.
1. Hammam - The Turkish ritual of Hammam is a highly beneficial body ritual and a recommended treatment to protect the body during winters. It is an awesome opportunity to care for your body with a journey that involves repeated heating and cooling accompanied with a good exfoliation and body mask. After sweating in the steam room, the scrub is done with the kessa glove by a therapist and the treatment is finished with a relaxing massage. The primary benefit of Hammam is that it cleans your pores of impurities and sloughs off dead skin. This reveals the fresh, smoother skin beneath, and the increase in blood flow during the massage will give you a healthy glow. It also leads to some much needed muscle relaxation.
2. Infrared Sauna - Infrared saunas are an effective tool for natural healing and. Infrared light has the ability to penetrate human tissue which in turn produces a host of anti-ageing health benefits making infrared saunas one of the “hottest” therapies for overall healthier living. This can also be used for various other benefits too such as detoxification, weight loss, relief from sore muscles and joint pains such as in arthritis, and improve circulation. Binge eating gets a nod!
3. Body wraps - Body wraps are known to improve metabolism and give a feeling of warmth to the body. However, body wraps have multifold purposes. Body wraps featuring detoxifying agents such as algae, seaweed, mud or clay can help rid the body of toxins through metabolic skin cell stimulation. On the other hand, Body Wraps are also known for their effectiveness in body shaping - they can tone, firm and tighten your body lines, helping you lose inches – but the bandages have to be wrapped tightly, making you sweat, to achieve this purpose. Apart from that, you can also solve the problem of your drying skin by going through a body wrap treatment, which ensures the body gets nourished and hydrated while solving other problems.
4. Hot stone – Besides warming you up as its name suggests, a hot stone massage can help ease tense muscles and damaged soft tissues throughout the body. The smooth, flat, heated stones are usually heated to between 130 and 145 degrees before being placed on specific parts of your body. Usually made of basalt, a type of volcanic rock that retains heat, the stones are very effective in reducing stress and anxiety, promoting sleep, helping relieve symptoms of autoimmune diseases and boosting immunity.
5. Pizhichil – Pizhichil is a specialty Ayurvedic treatment with exemplary benefits. A medicated prescribed oil is poured on the body and continuous strokes are carried out to squeeze the oil into the skin. Pizhichil is a combination of two classical Ayurvedic treatments called as Snehana (oil massage) and Swedana (fomentation, sweat inducing, sudation). Pizhichil combines the benefits of both oils and heat to provide the body and mind with numerous amazing benefits. The treatment improves overall blood circulation, strengthens immunity system, keeps lifestyle diseases at bay, helps in quick healing of fractured bones, improves muscle development, improves skin quality, improves the functions of nervous system and treats arthritis and other painful conditions.
These five treatments not only aid in keeping the body temperature comfortable during winters, they also solve many ailments that are associated with the weather. Brave the cold fearlessly!
Dr. Manoj Kutteri has two decades of experience in the wellness industry in India and abroad, Doctorate in Health Sciences from the US and carries extensive knowledge on mind-body medicine, along with a forte in Naturopathy, Ayurveda, Nutrition, Acupuncture, Yoga & Physical Culture and Psychology. He believes the goal of mind-body techniques is to get the body and mind to relax and to reduce the levels of stress hormones in the body, so that your immune system is better able to fight illnesses.